Traditional metabolomics can only detect and elucidate changes in the overall metabolites in a sample, however, imaging mass spectrometry (IMS) can provide information about the spatial and temporal distribution of metabolites in biological samples. Mass spectrometry imaging is a beneficial tool for the visual analysis of metabolites in biological tissues. Desorption Electrospray Ionization - Imaging Mass Spectrometry (DESI-IMS) is a fast mass spectrometry imaging technique for atmospheric pressure environments.
Introduction of DESI-IMS Data Analysis
Desorption Electrospray Ionization - Imaging Mass Spectrometry (DESI-IMS) uses the principle of electrospray ionization to desorb the target analyte directly from the sample surface by ionizing droplets of solvent at high speed, dissolving the compound in a thin film on the sample surface. The solvent is then electrosprayed under high pressure through an emitter capillary, which atomizes it and directs it to the sample. The above approach causes the metabolites on the sample surface to change to a gaseous state, and then the molecular ions are delivered to the MS inlet. DESI-IMS data analysis has been widely used in clinical analysis, cancer research, environmental science, microbiology, chemical ecology, and drug development due to the easy sample handling process and the least destructive sampling method. CD Genomics helps customers obtain information on the spatial composition and distribution of metabolites in living organisms through DESI-IMS data analysis.
Figure 1. Graphic representation of the DESI-IMS workflow. (Parrot D, et al., 2018)
Project Workflow of DESI-IMS Data Analysis
We can provide the following analysis results, including but not limited to.
- DESI-IMS imaging mass spectrometry diagram.
- DESI-MS/MS imaging mass spectrometry diagram.
How Can We Help You
Choosing our DESI-IMS data analysis can help you solve the following problems.
- DESI-IMS data analysis can be used for the development of biomarkers in biological tissues because of its ability to obtain information on the structure, content, and spatial distribution of a large number of known or unknown molecules such as endogenous metabolites and exogenous drugs directly from biological tissues.
- DESI-IMS data analysis collects not only drug and metabolite distribution data but also pharmacodynamic and biomarker information, making it valuable at multiple stages of drug development.
- DESI-IMS data analysis can be used for disease diagnosis, prognosis, and detection, helping to achieve precision medicine.
- DESI-IMS data analysis can be used to study plant-microbe interactions.
Can CD Genomics help me generate raw data?
Yes, we can. With advanced instrumentation, a high-coverage self-built database, and experienced metabolomics experts, we can provide you with DESI-IMS detection services.
How should I prepare and send my samples?
If you require our DESI-IMS detection services, please send samples as requested in the form below and contact us. We accepted samples consisting of fresh tissue samples without formalin soaking, HE staining, fluorescent labeling, and other treatments. Samples should avoid repeated freezing and thawing, and shorten the time of sample collection, storage, and transportation as much as possible. Make sure that the top and bottom of the box containing the sample are covered with dry ice when the sample is sent.
What is it about CD Genomics that is different from others?
- Our DESI-IMS data analysis service is suitable for all types of biological tissue samples.
- Our DESI-IMS data analysis service is capable of analyzing many types of small molecule metabolites.
- Parrot D, et al. Imaging the Unimaginable: Desorption Electrospray Ionization - Imaging Mass Spectrometry (DESI-IMS) in Natural Product Research. Planta Med. 2018 Jul; 84(9-10): 584-593.