Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) is an analytical technique that integrates liquid chromatography separation and mass spectrometry detection. The components in the sample are separated by chromatography and enter the ion source of the mass spectrometer through the interface and are atomized into charged droplets under the nitrogen flow and strong electric field. The droplets are desolvated to form bare ions during the ionization process, and the ions pass through the sampling cone and enter the vacuum zone of the mass analysis instrument for detection.
Introduction of LC-MS/MS Data Analysis Services
LC-MS can be used to obtain total ion chromatograms by acquiring mass spectra. The spectra do not provide molecular weight information and structural information of unknown compounds and are difficult to use for qualitative analysis. However, LC-MS/MS uses tandem mass spectrometry to obtain both molecular ion peaks and fragment ion peaks and thus can be used for both qualitative and quantitative analysis. LC-MS/MS can further improve the level of sample identification and accurate quantification by coupling two mass analyzers operating in tandem. LC-MS/MS can be used to detect residual compounds, identify organic small molecules, and identify and quantify contaminants and adulterants in pharmaceutical and food samples, in addition to analyzing large molecules such as proteins, for example, protein sequencing, protein post-translational modification site analysis, and quantitative proteomics.
Figure 1. FD-LC-MS/MS method for comprehensive differential proteomics analysis. (Kobayashi H, et al., 2021)
Project Workflow of LC-MS/MS Data Analysis Services
How Can We Help You
Choosing our LC-MS/MS data analysis services can help you solve the following problems.
- LC-MS/MS is used in pharmaceuticals for applications such as drug metabolism, pharmacokinetics, impurity analysis, and natural impurity analysis.
- LC-MS/MS is used in environmental chemistry for pesticide and pesticide residue analysis, organic pollutant analysis, and soil and food analysis.
- Measurement of changes in vivo substances such as amino acids, organic acids, fatty acids, hormones, and bile acids by LC-MS/MS helps in the diagnosis of congenital diseases and provides a basis for early and precise diagnosis and placement of diseases.
- LC-MS/MS enables high-throughput analysis of biomarkers through good chromatographic separation for precise diagnosis and placement of diseases. The combined multi-omics analysis with LC-MS/MS as the core can better facilitate the overall study of the disease.
- LC-MS/MS is used in food science for the analysis of flavors, additives, proteins, and carcinogens.
- LC-MS/MS in the field of synthetic chemistry for the analysis of organometallic compounds and organic synthetics.
- LC-MS/MS in organic chemistry neighborhood, for analysis of surfactants, fuels, etc.
Can CD Genomics help me generate raw data?
Yes, we can. With advanced instrumentation, a high-coverage self-built database, and experienced metabolomics experts, we can provide you with LC-MS/MS detection services.
How should I prepare and send my samples?
If you require our LC-MS/MS detection services, please send samples as requested in the form below and contact us. Animal samples require more than 6-8 biological replicates. More than 6-8 biological replicates are required for bacteriophage/bacterial fluid samples. Clinical samples require more than 30 biological replicates.
|Sample Type||Minimum requirement per sample||Storage and transportation|
|Serum||200 ul||Snap freeze in liquid nitrogen.
Store at -80 ℃.
Ship with dry ice.
|Animal tissue||30 mg|
|Feces (solid/liquid)||60 mg/1.5 mL|
|Cells (or bacteria)||1 mL|
|Cell cultures (or fermentation broth)||1 mL|
- Adaway JE, Keevil BG. Therapeutic drug monitoring and LC-MS/MS. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2012 Feb 1; 883-884: 33-49.
- Kobayashi H, Imai K. Recent Progress in FD-LC-MS/MS Proteomics Method. Front Chem. 2021 Jun 4 ;9: 640336.